OK. So lately, I’ve had some real questions about email marketing. There is so much out there, and so much to learn, that many of my clients (and potential clients) are just getting frustrated with how unpredictable email marketing seems to be.
Well, let me start by saying this…It is a very slow process!! You will have to do these things, and do them correctly, for email marketing to work:
- Pick an email marketing program that will work for your budget and your needs (I recommend Constant Contact because of all the tools it has to offer).
- Create web forms for your website, your blog, and social media. These forms help get sign-ups for your email campaigns.
- Create an email that has value, is not too long, is not too short, has the right colors, and is mobile friendly.
- Load an organic, nurtured list of individuals into your program (and then learn how to segment them as your list grows).
- Follow-up with your contacts, based on their interests, their wants, and their needs.
- As your list grows and the demands get higher for your valuable content, create automated emails, or even put together a “product” using email marketing.
Oh goodness…so much to think about.
Let’s first start with FINDING INDIVIDUALS TO EMAIL. Where are you getting your contacts from? Do you have a well-nurtured list of people just sitting in your folders in your Gmail or Outlook accounts?
Did you purchase a list that you’re hoping to use (I really hope you didn’t waste your money)?
Are you in the process of networking, collecting business cards, handing out flyers, speaking at events, etc?
AND what do you do with all those NEW contacts?
First, you have to decide who is who, where each contact came from, how you know them, what relationship you’ve nurtured through them. Then, you need to segment them based on your answers. The idea is to create SPECIFIC lists so you can send them SPECIFIC valuable content through your email marketing efforts. If you don’t have contacts, well, then you need to get some. You can do this by using a web form through your email marketing program, through networking in person, or through prospecting on LinkedIn.
Is all this too much to process? I know, it can be overwhelming. And that’s JUST finding contacts.
Now, the first email you send to your contacts SHOULD always be an introductory email. You should include who you are, how you know them, why you’re emailing them, what you have to offer, and how often you plan to email them. AND always include a way for them to opt-out or unsubscribe…always!!!
Listen, don’t beat your head against the wall trying to figure all this out. Let me help you with ALL of this and more. Email marketing is often times trial and error. It’s can be a very long process…it takes time. Don’t get lost in the email marketing world. Contact me today so I can help!
Think of it this way. Even if it takes you months to actually get it all right, just ONE of those contacts actually making the right move at the right time can pay for all your hard work and then some. But in order to get that contact (and hopefully more) to purchase from you, you have to nurture them the right way…through segmented email marketing!
So, get help and do it all the correct way. Don’t settle for a purchased list or a $10/hour admin to help you. Remember, you ALWAYS get what you pay for…ALWAYS!!
Have a question about your email marketing needs? Contact me! I will walk you through what needs to be done first, we will set a plan in motion together, and I will work with your budget and your business needs!
Virtual Marketing Assistant
Business Virtual Services, LLC